GAME CHANGER OF THE YEAR
Lawyers Give Back, a program initiated by Dworken and Bernstein, explains “sigh-pray” – from the French phrase “near as possible” – this way: ”When a class action is settled, plaintiff and defendant agree to a fund amount to pay all class members. Since many class members have moved, passed away, or can’t be found, millions of settlement dollars go unclaimed.
“That settlement money is intended to benefit the class – rather than revert to the wrongdoing defendant – so the ancient doctrine is now being used to distribute the unclaimed money to charities and nonprofits.”
Some of the Lake County organizations benefiting from Dworken and Bernstein’s sigh-pray efforts include Crossroads, United Way of Lake County, Hannah’s Home, Forbes House, the Lake County Free Clinic and Lake County Historical Society.
What makes someone worthy of the Game Changer Award?
Judging is based on the following criteria:
- Reside in or have a business located in Lake or Geauga County
- Be a cutting edge, forward thinking individual, business or business group that has “Changed the Conversation” resulting in casting Lake or Geauga County in a positive light
- Successfully completed one of the following:
- Improved or renovated a process
- Changed the delivery of service
- Demonstrated cutting edge thought in some aspect of technology or manufacturing
- Invented or created a new product
- Started a unique business to meet the need of our changing economy
The Game Changer Award is sponsored by: